How to ask for help.

Michael_AU
Site Admin
Australia

How to ask for help.

Post by Michael_AU » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:58 am

Hello everyone.

When we are asking for help from community members we need you to supply as much information as possible.
First please use a descriptive, and accurate, title for your thread topic. Titles such as "my system is broken" or "<insert name here> broke everything" or "help" are not descriptive and give us no clues as to what really happened.

Please tell us
1. What happened
2. How it happened. Please don't just say "I updated and now my system is broken" (this is the same a bad title). Tell us exactly what you did and to the best of your ability give us as much fine detail as is possible.
3. What have you already done to try and fix this issue. This is important because sometimes we need to help you fix problems you have caused by trying to fix something, after that we can help you fix your initial problem.
4. Information about your system is extremely important so please let us know, maybe have it in your signature so you don't have to keep writing it up, what you have with regards to motherboard, CPU, GPU, sound card, etc etc etc.
5. What version you are using. This is important because if someone tells us that they are using an outdated and unsupported system they will possibly be asked to upgrade to the latest or at the very least a supported system.
6. How did you install it?
7. Your sources.list.
8. What research, if any, have you done for yourself?

The more information you can give us, calmly, politely, and without sarcasm, the better we as a community will be able to help you.

After you have done all this and posted on the forum you may find you have a bug and need to file a bug report. Filing a bug report is an important part of helping the community that helps you. If you don't know how to file a bug report please ask and we will help you through it.
Cheers.