Upstream from Cobber
At Cobber we are proud to work with upstream (meaning the original) open source communities that make various things that are provided with Cobber. As you would already be aware Cobber is based on Debian. It uses Desktop Environments and applications developed by other sections of the Open Source community.
- Debian Cobber is a Debian derivative.
Desktop Environments available in Cobber
- Cinnamon is a full featured Desktop Environment derived from Gnome 3 and provided by the Linux Mint project.
- Gnome is a full featured Desktop Environment.
- KDE (K Desktop Environment) is a full featured Desktop Environment.
- MATE is a lightweight Desktop Enviroment based on the old Gnome 2.32 (Gnome is now in Gnome 3.x). MATE provides a traditional Desktop Environment experience.
- Trinity (or TDE) is a Desktop Environment based on the old KDE 3 (KDE is now up to KDE 4.x)
- XFCE is a lightweight Desktop Environment.
Applications available in Cobber
- Engrampa Archive Manager (MATE)
- File Roller Archive Manager (Gnome))
- Galculator (MATE)
- Gedit (Gnome))
- Pluma (MATE)
- File Search (MATE)
- Screenshot (MATE)
- Eye of Gnome Image Viewer (Gnome)
- Eye of MATE Image Viewer (MATE)
- GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program.
- Image Magick
- Inkscape (Gnome)
- Simple Scan
- Pidgin is an Open Source Internet Messenger (IM) compatible with many different IM protocols.
- Transmission is a Torrent client.
- Atril PDF reader (MATE)
- Evince PDF reader (Gnome)
- LibreOffice is a full featured Office Suite that is compatible with Microsoft Office and is free.
Sound and Video
- Banshee is a full featured music player that supports many devices.
- Brasero CD burner
- Sound Juicer
- VLC Media Player is a full featured media player.
- Caja (MATE)
- Dconf Editor (Gnome, MATE)
- Disk Usage Analyser (MATE)
- Gdebi Package Installer (Cinnamon, Gnome, MATE)
- Log File Viewer
- MATE System Monitor (MATE)
- MATE Terminal (MATE)
- Power Statistics (MATE)
- Root Terminal
- Orca Screen Reader
You are welcome to contact me and make suggestions or to discuss how you can help make Cobber a stable and successful operating system.